The Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios presentations are perhaps one of the most exciting parts of the D23 Expos that take place in Anaheim, California every two years. I still remember the goosebumps when I saw some unfinished animation for Moana at the 2017 Expo. It’s truly a gift to get these glimpses into future projects and see how they are finished when they appear in theaters. This year at the 2022 D23 Expo, there will be tons of never-before-seen footage, presentations, and archives displays from Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. I know I can’t wait to see all of this in person! You can plan your D23 Expo time based on the time schedule below. We’ll have more updates as we receive them from D23. Here are the official details:
Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios are prepping for Disney’s D23 Expo 2022 presented by Visa in Anaheim, California—a three-day extravaganza that kicks off September 9. Plans are underway at the animation powerhouses for an exciting weekend of announcements, first looks, sneak peeks, and presentations surrounding upcoming feature films and streaming titles—plus interactive displays, artist autograph signings, sharable photo opportunities, filmmaker Q&As, and giveaways.
LOOKING AHEAD WITH THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS
Friday, September 9, 3:30 p.m., Hall D23
Disney Animation and Pixar are teaming up with Disney Live Action on Friday afternoon, welcoming thousands of Disney fans to Hall D23 for a special look at upcoming films and series. Pixar Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer Pete Docter and Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer Jennifer Lee will present never-before-seen footage, surprise announcements, musical performances, and appearances by all-star voice talent from the studios’ upcoming slate of original animated films and series. Fans will get an insider’s view at Pixar’s unique, perspective-shifting, long-form series Win or Lose, which launches on Disney+ next year. Pixar’s Peter Sohn, who helms the 2023 feature Elemental, will transport fans to a city where fire-, water-, land-, and air-residents live side by side. Disney Animation’s Academy Award®-winning director Don Hall will journey alongside fans deep into an uncharted and treacherous land with Strange World—releasing November 23—and Disney Animation and their collaborators from the Pan-African comic book company Kugali will reveal new details about Iwájú, a long-form sci-fi series set in Lagos, Nigeria, that launches on Disney+ next year. Cell phones, cameras, and all recording devices will be checked for this presentation.
September 9 through 11, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
As Walt Disney Animation Studios kicks off its 100-year anniversary celebration, the studio will showcase its past, present, and future throughout D23 Expo 2022. They’ll team up once again with Pixar Animation Studios on the show floor, creating an immersive animation experience for fans. The studios’ upcoming original feature films, including Disney Animation’s Strange World, releasing this November, and Pixar’s June 2023 release, Elemental, will be highlighted. A six-foot-tall red panda will greet fans, celebrating Pixar’s Turning Red, now streaming on Disney+, and a photo op with Buzz Lightyear and his robot companion cat Sox from the now-in-theaters film Lightyear will be available. Disney Animation will invite guests into the realms of Strange World, Encanto, and more through engaging photo experiences. Fans will also get opportunities to meet the teams behind the series and movies, with autograph signings of exclusive art and promotional item giveaways.
Friday, September 9
“traceback”: Celebrating the People of Walt Disney Animation Studios is scheduled for 11:45 a.m.– 12:45 p.m. on the Hyperion Stage.
- The Walt Disney Animation Research Library presents “traceback,” a look at the lives and work as well as the artistic and technical contributions of women and employees of color throughout the history of Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Saturday, September 10
A Century of Storytelling at Walt Disney Animation Studios is scheduled for 2–3 p.m. on the Walt Disney Archives Stage.
- The Walt Disney Animation Research Library celebrates 100 years of Disney Animation storytelling by highlighting the stories and people behind key art and artifacts in its collection.
A Celebration of Disney Animation’s “Encanto” will take place from 3:30–4:30 p.m. on the Premiere Stage.
- Join the team behind Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award®-winning hit Encanto for stories behind the making of the film—and a few surprises!
Sneak Peek at “Zootopia+” from Walt Disney Animation Studios will take place from 6–7 p.m. on the Backlot Stage.
- Get a first look at the highly anticipated animated series Zootopia+, coming to Disney+ from Walt Disney Animation Studios, with directors Josie Trinidad and Trent Correy.
Sunday, September 11
100 Years of Treasures from the Walt Disney Animation Research Library is scheduled for 2–3 p.m. on the Backlot Stage.
- Never-before-seen clips, recording sessions, and live-action reference mark 100 years of Walt Disney Animation Studios as the Animation Research Library unveils newly digitized media from its collection and from its Oral History Project, in which the legends of animation have been interviewed.
You can see our additional D23 Expo coverage and follow along with us on social media:
FOLLOW THE ZANNALAND FAMILY ON SOCIAL MEDIA, WATCH OUR VIDEOS, VLOGS AND PODCAST TOO:
- Twitter: @zannaland, @otisney
- Instagram: @zannaland, @UpTheWaterfall, @otisney
- Zannaland’s facebook page
- Zannaland on YouTube
- Listen to Up the Waterfall podcast, subscribe on iTunes, or watch Up the Waterfall on YouTube